CAMP JACK: COVID-19 UPDATE
These unsettling times are affecting us all in many different ways. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, social distancing, and the continued impact on our Agency and the community, we have canceled the 2020 Season of camp at Camp Jack. Staff will seek ways to engage this group in some fun activities that are in line with CDC guidelines until we can safely come together once again.
Please like and watch our Camp Jack Facebook page for updates and event notices. Stay safe, and we look forward to welcoming our campers and their families back for a full camp season in 2021!
2020 Camping Season
The Jack Rua Camp for Children with Diabetes is a friendly place where youth with diabetes, ages 5 through 14, their siblings, and their friends benefit from hands-on learning experiences in Type 1 diabetes management and support within a fun and welcoming environment. Our mission is to foster friendships among children with diabetes, their siblings, and friends through a safe, active program while enabling them to learn about and face the common challenges of diabetes.
The Jack Rua Camp for Children with Diabetes runs for 6-weeks during the months of July and August and is held at beautiful Camp Welch, located at 127 North Main Street in Assonet, MA. The program’s small enrollment and staff-to-camper ratio ensure a safe and high-quality camp program in which the campers receive plenty of supervision from exceptional role models, take part in a variety of camp experiences, and learn something new every day. Program areas include arts and crafts, nutrition and diabetes education, swimming in pools, archery, and outdoor fun in multiple athletic fields.
The following ensures your camper’s health and safety while they enjoy camp:
- Registered Nurse (RN) on Site
- Local Pediatrician as the Camp Health Care Consultant
- Staff Trained by a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Staff Members Certified in CPR and First Aid
- Policies and Procedures in Compliance with the MA Department of Public Health
- Designated Blood Glucose Testing Time and Location
- Diabetes Regimen Followed
- Appropriate Snacks and Drinks Provided
- Accredited Member of the American Camp Association (ACA)
- Member of the Diabetes Education and Camping Association (DECA)
For more information about this service, please contact:
4 South Main Street
Fall River, MA 02721
(508) 679-5233 tel
(508) 679-6211 fax